How do I start my application for my Criminal Record Check?
To begin please click the green ‘start now’ button on our homepage https://www.instantrecordcheck.ca/ Alternatively, you can also begin by creating an account.
How long does it take to receive my Criminal Record Check?
Our criminal record checks can take as little as 15 minutes to as long as 24 hours to process. Once your identity is verified, our automated system usually takes as little as a few hours to email you your report. However, times may vary based on the volume of applications submitted. Please allow 24 hours before contacting us.
What information is required to get my Criminal Record Check?
To get your criminal record check through Instant Record Check, you will need to provide your personal information including name, phone number, birth date, current and past addresses, and if you have previously been convicted of a crime. You will then need to verify your ID by uploading one piece of government-issued ID.
Where does Instant Record Check get the information for my Criminal Record Check?
We have an agreement with the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) and interface directly into their database using secure AES 256-bit encryption.
What does an “Incomplete” status mean, after submitting my application?
An “Incomplete” Status means that part of your application could not be submitted. Please wait a few hours to see if that status changes as sometimes ID verification takes longer than usual. Next, please check to ensure the payment has gone through. If the payment has gone through then your ID could not be verified due to a variety of different reasons. Please click the blue “continue” button on your dashboard to verify your ID again. Usually the issue has occurred with blurry or “unreadable” documents. If possible, please use a mobile device to submit your documents again.
Where do I go to authenticate the Criminal Record Check Document?
On the result pdf, please view the second page that is attached. The Second page provides all the information needed to ensure the document is authentic. Going to the authentication page, https://www.instantrecordcheck.ca/authenticate, will allow you to input the serial number provided on the original document. It will then automatically download the document again. From here you can view and ensure that the document you received is the same as the document in our system. This ensures that no documents can be tampered with.
Does my Criminal Record Check Expire?
Your Criminal Record Check includes the date it was created and is valid as of that date. Each organization determines its own threshold for how long they consider a CRC to be “valid.” While most organizations recognize a CRC to be valid if it is less than three months old, some may ask for a new one based on the specific reason for its use.
How to download my criminal record check result?
You have two ways to download your result. The first is through your Instant Record Check account dashboard. Go to 'Home' and there should be a 'Download' button beside your completed application. It will then be automatically saved on your device file storage. The second is through your email inbox result notification. Look for the attached document usually at the bottom of the email message and hit the download button or icon on it. It will then be automatically saved on your device file storage.
Can I get a Criminal Record Check while in a different country?
Yes, you can apply for a criminal record check with us even if you are outside of Canada. You can skip the corresponding form page that asks for current Canadian information.
Why did I received an ‘Incomplete’ result?
The reasons for 'Incomplete' results are related to the information provided by you and the data available in the RCMP system. Below are the possible reasons for an 'Incomplete' result:
- Invalid/Incorrect Name: If the name provided by you does not match the name on the official record, it may result in an incomplete result.
- Invalid/Incorrect Date of Birth: If the date of birth provided by you is incorrect or does not match the date of birth on the official record, it may result in an incomplete result.
- Invalid/Incorrect Address History: If the address history provided by you is incomplete or incorrect, it may result in an incomplete result. The address history is important to verify the individual's identity and to ensure that the criminal record check is conducted in the correct jurisdiction.
- Incomplete/Incorrect Criminal Record Declaration: If you do not provide a complete and accurate criminal record declaration, it may result in an incomplete result. The criminal record declaration is important to ensure that all relevant information is taken into consideration during the criminal record check.
Criminal Record Check
What type of Criminal Record Check will I receive?
We only offer name-based Criminal Record Checks. This is different from other types of criminal record checks such as vulnerable sector checks or certified criminal record checks. To have these types of Criminal Record Checks please visit your local police station in person.
- BC Name Change
- Canada Citizenship, Permanent Residence, and Visa
- International Visa Purposes
- Record Suspensions
- US Immigration/Visas - Privacy Act
- US Waiver
What information is included in the Criminal Record Check?
The information contained in our checks is provided by the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) based on the name and date of birth of each applicant. These may indicate the existence of criminal convictions for which a pardon or record suspension has not been granted. The report will also include any criminal history disclosed by the individual.
Are pre-employment Criminal Record Checks common?
Yes. Almost 80% of employers require pre-employment background checks on candidates, including Criminal Record Checks. These checks relate to personal information and should always comply with Canada’s privacy laws and regulations.
How up-to-date is the Criminal Record Check?
Your Criminal Record Check reflects your criminal record at the time of the search. Information is submitted by each jurisdiction, resulting in a possible delay before being available to the Canadian Police Information Centre.
Can I do a background check for someone else?
No, we do not offer this service. We can only provide a criminal record check on the individual who fills out the application and verifies their identity. We are introducing business services soon, to sign up, please sign up through this page https://www.instantrecordcheck.ca/contact-us/ or email us at email@example.com.
How does Instant Record Check conduct these background checks?
Instant Record Check is fully authorized by the RCMP to provide this service on their behalf and closely works with Canadian police departments to complete these criminal record checks. Our name-based criminal record checks are valid across Canada.
How can I receive a physical/hard copy of my criminal record check result?
A certified physical/hard copy of your criminal record check is optional. But in the event you require a hard copy result of your criminal record check, you'll have the option to add it during your application. There will be an additional postage charge of $15 for this service and mail will be within 5-10 business days. Please ensure you provide the correct current mailing address because once your application has been submitted to our police partners, the address can no longer be changed.
Why do I need to verify my identity?
It is illegal for an individual to request a Criminal Record Check on behalf of or in the name of another person. Instant Record Check provides everything you need to verify your identity using Government-issued documentation and physical ID verification.
I’m having issues verifying my ID, what do I do?
If you are having difficulty verifying your ID please follow these steps below:
- Ensure the area you are taking the photos in has ample lighting.
- Switch your device, as some devices may have a better camera than others. For example, switching from a desktop computer to a mobile device.
- Make sure your ID is placed within the on screen borders.
- Make sure your face is lined up in the on screen oval and follow any directions provided.
- Clean off the camera on your device to ensure that you are getting a clear photo.
Payment and Refunds
What is the refund policy for Criminal Record Checks?
Refunds are only offered for the following two scenarios:
- You have not received your criminal record check after 24 hours. We guarantee that all criminal record checks will be completed within 15 minutes or up to 24 hours latest form the time of submission.
- You have made payment and have not submitted your application to one of our police department partners.
We do not offer refunds for any other reasons.
For example, refunds will NOT be issued if:
- Your employer does not accept third-party criminal record checks (please check before submitting your application).
- You received an 'Incomplete' response because you made an error entering your personal information and/or your criminal record declaration.
- You require a different type of criminal record check other than the one we provide (ex. Vulnerable Sector Check).
What form of payment does Instant Record Check accept?
Payment can be made online using your Mastercard and Visa credit/debit cards.
Failed Submission Error
This indicates that your submission was unsuccessful. Typically, this means that your ID could not be verified and you will need to resubmit your ID to be verified before your application can be processed. Please contact a member of the support team, if you are unsure as to why your ID could not be verified. Some reasons as to why your ID could not be verified include: blurry/unclear photos, taking the photo too far away from your ID, taking photos in an area with dark lighting or taking the photos with other individuals or other documents in the frame. Please be sure to follow all instructions when taking the photos required for ID verification.